Dogs may be a perfect roommate and a man’s best friend- we love them but we can’t say the same about their mess. With that being said, keeping a house clean is tough enough, and adding a dog to it doesn’t make things easier.
Luckily for all you dog owners, Helpling has created a little guide to maintain a clean house along with a happy dog in the family.
Here are the basic rules to follow:
- Dedicate a section of the house that is accessible for your dog. Educate your furry four-legged friend on the rules to follow.
- Your Dog, just like you, loves to sleep and rest. Prepare a sleeping corner, together with a comfortable bed for it if you do not want it to take over your favourite spot on your couch.
- The vacuum cleaner will now be your favorite appliance: It is important that you vacuum the floors regularly, especially when you have a dog that sheds its hair all the time.
- Always ensure that you devote enough time to your dog: A bored dog is a curious dog- one that would nibble, bite and destroy anything that is under its nose.
- Wash your hands regularly so as to avoid the transmission of germs and bacteria from your pet dog.
Lunch is served
Let your dog eat in peace: Avoid leaving his food bowl in a hallway or anywhere where its meals can be easily disrupted. Once it has finished its meal, always clean the bowl with some dish detergent and warm water.
Very often, our dogs can create a big mess during meals, leaving remnants of its meal all around the bowl. Lay the area with sheets of newspaper before placing its food and water bowls down to keep food spills and water drips easier to clean.
Limit the number of meals and teach your dog to eat as soon as food is poured into its bowl. By doing this, it will allow you to wash the bowls once it has finished, to avoid leaving the dirty bowl a breeding ground for bacteria.
Win the war against the fur
Your secret weapon against this battle? No doubt it’s the vacuum cleaner ! It is best to buy a vacuum cleaner with a special filter if someone in the family also suffers from asthma or other allergies: The filter ensures that micro allergens carried by animals can be eliminated them forever.
To remove fur from clothes, simply wipe it away with rubber gloves– The hair sticks to the gloves like glue! The rubber glove method works well for pillows and sofas where your dog usually sits.
Give your dog a special place to relax and sleep, this way, you’ll know where to focus on the cleaning! Also, try to adapt to your animal : If you have a white-coated dog, a dark coloured carpet might not be the most suitable choice. To prevent the shedding of fur, brush your dog’s coat regularly.
A perfect bed
Quilted dog kennels bring warmth and comfort to your pet pooch, but they are a nightmare in terms of hygiene! You should definitely provide for a constant cleaning before they become refuge to moths, insects and ticks.
Opt for a wicker basket with lining instead: just remove the cover and throw it in the washing machine.
To remove the smell , try rubbing baking soda to the basket to absorb odors. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before cleaning it up.
Dogs may be man’s best friend, but they require special cleaning attention. Follow these tips from Helpling to enjoy your dog without sacrificing a clean house.